My name is Lilly Bell and I am from Mobile, Alabama where I have so much contact with the water but there are not many places to hike. Therefore, I have spent a lot of time travelling to find my favorite hiking spots around the world! Since I don’t have immediate access to the trails I have to think ahead and prepare for my adventures into the backcountry.
I wanted to highlight some of the things I always have with me in my pack:
1. I LOVE my Moondance 32 oz. Nalgene water bottle. Always carrying two full bottles while I’m hiking is important for my hydration. When I am vigilant about drinking water while hiking, I can tell a huge difference in my energy level! That is why I always make sure to have my Nalgenes in either side of pack so I can access them easily during breaks.
2. After a long day of hiking, I cannot wait to change into a pair of camp socks (clean socks only used for lounging/cooking/sleeping) and my Crocs. Crocs are THE most comfortable and so breathable. They are also so light which makes my pack less heavy, making my hike more enjoyable. Finally, they are red, my favorite color! Practical and fashionable!
3. As much as I love a light pack, I also love being comfortable at the campsite after a long day. I can’t resist bringing my Crazy Creek chair on hiking excursions. This is such a fun addition to an
experience in the woods. I love sitting back and chatting with friends after dinner or in the morning enjoying coffee. I usually fold my Crazy Creek up and pack it close to the frame of my pack. Then, when I am ready to unwind, I have a comfortable lounge chair!
4. Saving the best for last: the most special component of my pack. I like to bring along a miniature rubber animal or two on my adventures. These tiny guys bring excitement to any trek. You can hide them in your friend’s packs or tents or even their bowl before a meal!
– Lilly Bell, Admissions Team